A colleague shared information about becoming a future administrator and sharing how to go about balancing personal and professional life.
- “Survivor skills for the principalship”
- Take care of #1 - have some "me" time.
- Enroll in playtime 101 - get out and do fun stuff! Get new hobbies.
- Have the family visit the school, so faculty know you’re a person
- Schedule “fun time” with friends and family
- Leave campus once in a while - take a break, talk a walk, get coffee.
- Have a discussion with your spouse about your new position/role
Some other profound items worth discussing from this class:
- 50% rule – spend half the time in your office and half out in the school doing things. Do not be a hermit! Make sure you are visible!
- Supervisory time should be spent on helping each teacher become just a bit better. Be sure to meet them where they are comfortable, give up some of your power!
- Spend 10% of supervisory time dealing with incompetence and unsatisfactory items. Do not relinquish power here, have these meetings in your office!