Thursday, April 22, 2010

Reflection Week 15

Core Values

  • Clarify who we are
  • Govern personal relationships
  • Guide us on how to teach
  • Inform us on how to reward
  • Honesty
  • Transparency with statistics of student/community population
  • Look up Singleton & Linton, 2006, pp 60-61
  • Acceptance
  • Embracing cultural differences
  • Cultural barriers – break them down
  • Break the vicious circle/cycle
  • “Money is never going to make education more equitable if we do not properly desegregates our schools so that the minority population of students have as much to gain from public schools as middle and upper class students.” Jonathan Kozon, 1991.
  • Modeling
  • Model expectations of what I want my students to produce or learn
  • Learn by example
  • Intrinsic motivation
  • I value my own education, never a choice for me
  • Payback, sense of helping others
  • Caring, making a difference
  • Respect and trust
  • Friendly
  • Maintain healthy relationships
  • Focus on building confidence
  • Organization
  • Key to keeping up with the changes in education
  • Ownership and pride
  • http://www.Nps.gov/training/uc/whcv.htm

Decision Making
  • You get paid for your judgments.
  • With good judgment, you can find the knowledge (or those that do)
  • Why is it so difficult to make a decision?
  • Our value in the eyes of others are sometimes more important than the best decision
  • Why is decision making such an important activity for principals?
  • You’re paid for them
  • Decisions made in education are people decisions
  • It’s important, affects the students for the rest of their lives.
  • How do you make decisions? How does you r principal make decisions?
  • Gut instinct? Not in hiring…
  • Think it through
  • How will it affect most involved
  • Involve stake holders
  • Do not ASSUME
  • Are there techniques that would help a principal make a decision?
  • Stay aligned with your core values and school culture
  • Compare and contrast the various models of the decision making process.
  • When should a principal not involve others in the decision making process?
  • Confidentiality
  • Personnel issues
  • Make some minor alone decisions to begin with, to prove to staff that you can.
  • Are there techniques that would help a group make a decision?
  • Are there advantages to having a group make decisions?
Reflection
This class helped me to think more about my own core values and beliefs as they pertain to my future administrator role. I think that, because my values and beliefs have already been heavily rooted in my current teaching roles, that they will translate well to a principalship. Now obviously this might not be the case, but I believe that my current core values are enough to propel me into the role where I can refine and re-evaluate them. This class also brought forth the need for me to always stick to these core values, especially during the decision making process. The notes above are important to my future success in this arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment